Hand down the very best biscuits I’ve ever made, ever!
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 c + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 c oil
1. Sift flour, salt and baking powder into mixing bowl
2. Add shortening and blend well
3. Add baking soda to all the buttermilk then blend into flour mixture. DO NOT OVER WORK DOUGH
4. Heavily flour surface and the top of the dough (it’s pretty sticky) and roll out 1/4 thick and cut with 2 inch biscuit cutter OR cut into squares. Dip biscuits in oil to cover all sides and place on oiled baking sheet immediately with all biscuits touching.
5. Bake at 500F for 8.5-10 minutes or until nicely brown. Serve with butter and jam.
These were really good. I made them for my kids this morning. I’m not so much a baker guy, but these were good. They were easy. The biscuits were fluffy and really didn’t need any butter at all.
I have made this recipe many times now, my family really loves these biscuits , the only change I made was I use butter not oil on mine. These are easy to make and fast to cook and sooo good to eat… My family will eat the whole pan as soon as it comes out of the oven.