FOR THE STEAK
1POUND CHUCK STEAK OR CUT OF YOUR CHOICE
SALT TO TASTE
1TABLESPOON COARSE STEAK SEASONING STORE BOUGHT
1/2TEASPOON SMOKED PAPRIKA
1/2TEASPOON CHILI POWDER
FOR THE GORDITAS
1 3/4CUP HOT WATER
2CUPS YELLOW CORN MASA HARINA OR WHITE CORN MASA HARINA
1TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
1 1/2TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL PLUS MORE FOR COOKING
FOR THE SALSA VERDE
2-3LARGE TOMATILLOS WASHED AND QUARTERED
1CLOVE GARLIC SLICED
1TABLESPOON LIME JUICE
1/2TEASPOON RED PEPPER FLAKES OPTIONAL
SALT TO TASTE
For the Steak:
- In a small bowl, combine the spices to season the steak and season the steak generously on both sides. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for now. For the Gorditas: Add water and salt to a bowl and stir just until salt is dissolved. Gradually add in the masa harina mixed with baking powder. Add olive oil and mix until soft dough forms.
- Roll 6 equal-size masa balls. With a little warm water on hand, wet hands and using the palm of your hands, pat balls gently to form the gordita. If the edges crack, smooth over by rubbing a little water over the area. Place onto plate and cover. Set aside. For the Salsa Verde: While masa and steak are setting, prepare your salsa or other garnishes for gorditas. Place all ingredients for salsa verde in a glass bowl. Cover with paper towel and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Transfer contents to the blender. Add lime juice, pepper flakes and salt. Secure the lid by placing a towel over the top. Hold down with hand and pulse to blend. Taste for salt and pour into serving dish.
For the Steak Gorditas:
- Remove steak from refrigerator and leave it outside until it reaches room temperature. Preheat cast-iron pan to medium/low heat for 5 minutes. When hot, drizzle a little olive oil into pan. Place 3 gorditas in pan, cover with lid and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook for another 3 minutes, more or less. Add another drizzle of olive oil to pan when you turn them. Keeping them covered while cooking creates a little steam, and the gorditas will puff up slightly.
- Let the gorditas cool for just 1 minute. To cut open, place a few folded paper towels over each gordita. Using a small serrated knife, carefully slice open 3/4 of the way. Turn gordita as you slice. The paper towels keep your hands from getting burned while slicing. Gorditas slice better when they are warm. Keep gorditas warm in a low-temperature oven.
- Preheat cast-iron pan to medium heat for 5 minutes or until very hot. Drizzle steak with olive oil on both sides. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to hot pan. Cook steak for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare.
- e. Transfer steak to cutting board and tent loosely. Slice, against the grain.
- Fill gorditas with beans and steak. Garnish with cheese, guacamole, salsa and lettuce.